Friday 5 October 2012

1st Black SA Idols winner came a bit too late

Khaya Mthetwa


Everywhere I turned young black ladies are singing Khaya Mthethwa’s praises. Do not get me wrong I think the 25 year old is vastly talented and has a voice that demands acknowledgement. But why is this acknowledgement happening only now. This is the 8th session of idols that the first black winner was chosen. When I posed these questions to my fellow black people, most of their views circulated around the fact that DSTV channel is not available to the majority of blacks in the country who happen to be poor. Another view point was that black people, when it comes to voting they do not react even if they love a particular artist.
Having watched idols throughout the latest session, my own observation took me to the selection criteria that were happening in front of my eyes as I watched television. Is this session choosing a lot of black candidates or is it my imagination I thought silently.is that fair to the other vocally talented racial candidates? To me it looked like this session pressure to produce a black winner was a much higher priority than selecting the best singer from any racial group. Is this Affirmative action on the entertainment stage I see taking place?
I am proud of Khaya Mthetwa’s achievements and I wish him nothing but the best. But the dark cloud that surrounds the talented winner diverts attention from me and other people with an analytical eye from celebrating with him the great achievement.do I dare call it an achievement. The words: winner by strategic default come to mind.
I believe the whole selection procedure would have been more nearer to the truth for once. I am not questioning the credibility of the Idols judges; I am simply reminding the reader that those judges have a specific mandate to deliver on each session of South African Idols. Congratulations Khaya Mthethwa for winning and being the 1st black SA Idols winner.

10 comments:

  1. Such profound analysis sir Tebogo, I simply believe that it was just about time for Khaya to win. Let's look beyond the sensitive issue of race; the man is gifted as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir! I agree with your notion that we must stop cultural sensetivity n focus on talent but it won't happen with khaya as our mind set is on him bein 1st black winner

      Delete
  2. Khaya deserved winning. In my opinion, No one deserved it more than him. He held it together through the season. Let us look beyond race and congratulations be in order and be happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But take for example I dnt watch idols n nor do I knw khayas vocal strength but 1st time I heard on newspaper was hw black he is

      Delete
  3. He is a good guy and i heard that DA is going to use him for their campaign to win votes in 2014. Well done Khaya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not suprised politicians are going to take some of khaya's shining moment n utilise it for personal gain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The thing is khaya had a lot of people who were behind him,so weather people make judgemental comments he deserved it...hes got talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i do agree with you my dear, but it is sad that his talent has been overshadowed by the racial connotations surrounding the whole issue

      Delete
  6. Khaya deserved to win, it does not matter what others say. The fact is he won fairly and he is talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. over the past 8sessions of the show did you think the winners won fare and square? cause i beg to differ

      Delete